Friday, February 24, 2012

Discovering a Legacy



Okay, so truthfully this post should be something like "Rediscovering a Legacy" but I know how much jumbled syllables annoy the masses.... I'm a frikkin rapper.
The past week has brought about a major revelation for me. As people grow, their philosophy tends to change on just about everything. Since I'm merely a person-like robot, my revelations are limited to the worlds of "comic books" and "rap." Every now and then my programming will malfunction and I'll realize something really groundbreaking, but I usually forget it before I can write a controversial novel on the matter.
My most recent realization concerned the world-wide, and most likely intergalactic, phenomenon Star Wars.
Like any well raised nerd, I love the series and everything it represents. As a kid, I would go on about it any time some said they'd seen the movies, without realizing that's pretty much the whole of humanity. Of course, I assume there are a few alien creatures, as well as those dedicated Star Trek fans, that are scarce on the details.
Despite my burning passion for the mythos, I haven't read a Star Wars comic in years. I haven't liked one in even longer. Reading them as a teen, they all seemed like cheap tie-ins that skipped on the quality (I was an asshole in High School.) For the most part I was right, though I see now that my preconceived notions toward "Star Wars comics" as a whole prevented me from seeing the genius of those rare exceptions.
Last Thursday, I picked up "Star Wars: Knight Errant vol. 1" on one of my routine passes through the comic store by my College. There was a sale on all Star Wars trades (collected issues) and the idea of a deal suddenly outweighed my disinterest. I had two hours before my next class, so I managed to finish the whole book. It was awesome.
Suddenly my appetite for Star Wars was reengaged, and it needed to be satisfied faster than I could make it back to the comic book store (There was no time after class.) That night, I pulled "Star Wars: Legacy vol. 1" off of my shelf, a book I hadn't even looked at in four years. I was shocked by new emotions toward the characters and story. I would have thought I was reading a different comic, had I not remembered most of it in detail.
My biases were gone, and though judging comics is world from being relevant to the big picture, it felt good I could get over that hump and shake off that feeling of arrogance that seems to be the emotional petroleum that fuels our opinions as nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment