Monday, February 20, 2012

Boyfriend vs. Guy Friend. (A Breakdown for Those Who Love Loving)

We often don't think about how hard it is for straight women to find someone. We think "Guys aren't picky. They'll cling to just about anyone" but don't consider certain factors. Do these nonselective suitors live close enough to their would-be girlfriends? And are they even confident enough to do the dance required to go from guy friend to boyfriend? I know I was always terrified of asking a girl out, as I could never read the signals. I don't think any man anywhere in existence really can.

My shyness meant that most of my relationships were arranged. I was often "set up" with a girl through a mutual friend. I can't remember this concept ever seeming strange to me, though looking back, it was the best example of the word I could ever think of. To actually tell someone "She's so nice, you should date her." which is no exaggeration from what I'd hear as a youth, is one of the weirdest things ever.
You'd never hear someone described like that in a regular situation. But shouldn't you? Often times, friends last longer than lovers, and I'd personally like to know if someone was worth it before I let them into my social circle.
In High School, most of the kids had had more lovers than friends, which to me is like saying that you acquired more Heart Pieces in The Legend of Zelda than Rupees (Heart Pieces are scarce, while Rupees can be found just about anywhere). A girlfriend or boyfriend should be something special, and most importantly, something that you don't just pick up because you feel like you could use one.
People often find that the significant other they selected in such haste would suit them better as a friend. WHO'D AH THUNK IT!?! When it comes down to it, I think people, male and female, should be more selective. I mean, there are a thousand Rupees, right? Why not wait for that Heart Piece?

No comments:

Post a Comment