Tuesday, March 12, 2013

This Guy's Glory Days




        Today I've been piecing together a new song for the Youtubes, as well as studying for tests and how to be a grown up. I'm writing this post as a break from the madness. The song's theme, which is mostly all I've worked out beyond a few lyrics, is a tribute to the 90's and how it affected those who were just little sprouts at the time. I love Kurt Cobain, but I can't even remember if I knew who he was when I was 6 or 7 (My sister may have listened to him. I didn't quite know her very well beyond that she was taller than me.) But this song is about the things that were on my radar at the time, not what I found out I missed 10 years after (Sorry, Operation: Desert Storm.) I think it's important, at least to me, for that perspective to be represented.
   
        I got most of my news through cartoons, and by teenagedom had a surprisingly extensive knowledge of pop culture. I knew Einstein was like the top dog scientist (He was Dexter's Idol), the President played an instrument (thanks to Animaniacs and an inquiry to my parents as to who Bill
Zach Morris taught us drugs
are bad every weekday morning at 7 and 7:30
Clinton was), and it just got bigger from there. I watch kids' television now, and most of the stuff is just brain filler. Every TV show doesn't need to have a Socratic epiphany, but at least be creative (Google "Annoying Orange"... I dare you.)

      What was more important than learning lessons from television was, shockingly, learning lessons from learning. I grew up at the tail end of the days where parents didn't care just enough. For me, there were emotional blockades that didn't give me a lot of social time, or even many people to make any such time with (x didn't have many y's to = fun.) Regardless, I managed to skin my knee enough to learn a small fraction of the lessons most people learn by adolescence. Most importantly, I learned to spot a Doucheface McAssFlapper when I saw one. Still, I didn't get as many chances as others to learn how to identify every variety of asshole, and that's gonna come out in this song.

     In a way the 90's were better. I didn't know a lot about responsibility, so I didn't know enough to care. On the flip side, I had struggles on an astronomical scale, and just lacked the sense to comprehend them. It's sort of inverted now. I've tackled my major demons, so now I have time to sweat the small stuff. Still, with everything horrible, and I mean truly horrible, that happened with me then, I can't help but miss it whenever I see something I recognize from the decade. So if it's not the actual events, maybe I miss how I thought: The simple, cheery, yet utterly profound way that children, particularly children in my shoes, see things.

- Fuju

No comments:

Post a Comment